Sunday, February 15, 2009

To aerate or not to aerate? That is the question.

I have had discussions with people over the years whether to aerate or not to aerate wine or just decant it and let it sit. In my opinion go a head and aerate it. Some times you don't have the time to let it sit. Aerating allows oxygen to penetrate the wine and open up aromas and taste.

For myself I've been known to take a tight wine and pour it into a glass pitcher and swirl it, shake it and slosh it around in order to open it up. If I had been given a choice I would have used an aerator. Much faster and much more convenient.

Recently a wine contact, Stark Silver Creek ask me what kind of aerator I would use. After working in the wine industry for many years, I have used three different kinds of aerators. While the following three aerate the wine well. I say go for what works for you. Do you want to put on a show for your friends then go for this model. I consider this model cumbersome. But hey, if you want to put on a show, go for it!






Another model I have used is this one. It can be convenient until the steel insert inside the rubber cone moves around and stops the wine from flowing through. I'll pass on this one as well. I don't want to fight with my aerator.





The third model I have used is my personal preference. No muss no fuss. Sure, you won't be putting on a show and it may not look as elegant as the others. However you can sit down and enjoy conversations and food on the table with your friends and not have to do battle with your aerator. I own this model.


Look for a wrapup from me on the Thomas Coyne Winery Winter Open House.
You can always follow me on Twitter. http://twitter.com/morewines
Recent Tweets in the righthand column.

No comments:

Post a Comment